Food and Beverage standards refer to well-documented and organized operational tasks that are mostly focused on guest service delivery. This is important for potential and existing Managers looking for information on the technological aspects of operating procedures. Responsibilities and procedures are set in a rational series and broken down into small components. Besides, it gives the user procedures that have been laid down for each job. On the other hand, it mainly emphasizes guest service delivery issues.
The Food and Beverage standards help in maintaining maximum aspects of professional principles. It consists of complete processes and works ethics guidelines. This should be clear and straightforward for waiters to internalize and implement them successfully in their daily service interface. Check out similar articles.
Restaurant Service Standard Procedure
- The restaurant should be clean and hygienic with an invigorating and appealing atmosphere, suitable levels of illumination, and aeration. Besides, all furniture, fixtures, and apparatus in the restaurant must be in an appropriate operational state.
- Staff meets the guests upon entry into the hotel restaurant with eye contact, and a smile. He/she verbally welcomes and escorts the guests to their seats within 2 minutes of arrival.
- Properly set tables before seating the guests.
- The service presents Food & Beverage menu while introducing themselves to the guests within one minute after seating the guests.
- Invite the guests to place their drinks order while giving suggestions as necessary.
- Restaurant staff must possess broad information of all items in the food, beverage, and wine menus.
- Serve beverages within 5 minutes after placing an order and invite the guest to place their Food order or visit the buffet.
- Suggest items to guests together with complementing wines. Repeat the order and inform guests of the estimated delivery time.
- Serve starters and desserts within 10 minutes after placing. On the other hand, serve all main courses within 25 minutes. Besides, advise the guests on items that take longer to serve.
- Dispense off food and beverage orders at the suitable hotness and present them as per the laid out provisions.
- Maintain eye contact with the guest as you anticipate the guest’s needs and service demands.
- As soon as you clear your last course, the associate asks if the guest would like to order anything else. The guests are asked whether they enjoyed their meal and whether they are ready for their bill.
- Thank the guests for their visit during departure and escort them to the way out of the Restaurant.
Check out how we help hotels achieve their objectives
Food And Beverage Standards | Bar Service
- Maintain all Bars in a clean and hygienic state with a revitalizing and attractive atmosphere. They should have suitable lighting and ventilation levels. In addition, all items of furniture, fixtures, as well as bar equipment would be in a properly working state.
- Display all merchandising and marketing items appropriately inside the bar.
- Acknowledge guests upon entering a hotel bar through eye contact with a warm smile. Besides, escort and seat them within 2 minutes of arrival. Do so either at the bar or within a smoking or non-smoking segment at their favorite option.
- Bar staff presents the snack and drinks menu while introducing him/herself to the customer within one minute of seating.
- At this point, staff invites the guest to place the drink order, up-selling where necessary.
- Service staff should have a thorough knowledge of details in the food, beverage, wine, and cocktail menus.
- Take beverage order and dispense it within 3 minutes using a suitable glass and warmth complemented with bar biting.
- Engage guests sitting at the counter on a light welcoming chat without interfering in their privacy. On the other hand, staff should continuously refill their drinks upon customer approval.
- Maintain standard eye contact as you anticipate guests’ desires and demands for service.
- Inquire if the guests require more drinks before presenting the bill for payment.
- Thank the guests for their patronage as they leave the premises.
Food And Beverage Standards | Room Service
- Receive all phone calls within 3 rings and offer an apology if not answered on time.
- Staff introduces themselves by mentioning their department with hotel standard greeting.
- Ascertain the name, room number of the guest and if possible use the name when referring to them. For example, you can say, “Thank you for calling room service, George speaking, how may I help you?”
- Staff must be comprehensive in knowledge about room service menu as well as drinks on they offer at different meal times.
- Special requests must be provided. Where applicable, provide suitable alternatives.
- Repeat orders to customers to confirm and anticipate the delivery time. (30 minutes).
- Thank the guest for calling room service before disconnecting the call.
- Inform the guest of any delays in delivery providing an approximated delivery time.
- Deliver room service orders using a clean tray with a standard set-up as per the hotel brand standards.
- Greet guests with a warm friendly smile with eye contact while stating the customer’s name.
- Confirm, and give details of the order as you present the bill for payment.
- Wish the guest “Bon appetite” and leave the room as you gently close the door behind you.
- Pick trays will from the room five minutes after a request by the customer. Check out similar blog posts.
Food And Beverage Standards | Banqueting And Conferencing
- Receive phone calls within 3 rings and offer an apology if not done within the time limits.
- Staff introduces themselves while stating the department coupled with a standard greeting.
- Establish banqueting function requirements when making reservations.
- Take details of the contact person for a follow-up purpose.
- Invite all clients to view a variety of amenities and services offered by the hotel.
- Tentatively chart all bookings in the conference diary providing alternatives of a substitute in case no room is available. In such a case, refer the client to sister hotel properties.
- Do a follow-up 7 days (one week) before the date of the function.
- Issue LPO upon confirmation of any deposit paid.
- Confirm all the necessary equipment before signing the contract.
- Discuss and confirm the necessities as asked for by the organizer two days before the function.
- Highlight a brief on security, fire, and safety measures within the hotel premises.
- Discuss with the guests about transport, airport transfers, signage, restaurants, as well as any special nutritional needs.
- The banqueting manager meets the organizer on a material day to establish clients’ fulfillment.
- Banqueting coordinators liaise with the organizer as he/she promotes excursions, cocktails, as well as special dinners.
- Process and deliver correct invoices to the organizer for payment within 7 days after the end of the function.
- Send a thank you letter to the organizer for their patronage while inviting them to come again.
The food and beverage department is the stronghold for the well-being of guests in hotels. It serves the duty of stimulating and invigorating the body to improve guest’s stay within the premises. Food and beverage products are prone to germs. Therefore, great care ought to be taken to guarantee that hygiene and safety procedures are put to avoid contamination.
Reach out for our hospitality consultancy services Here