A hotel standard maintenance procedure is a comprehensive list of steps that explains how to carry out asset repair and servicing jobs. The maintenance department in a hotel provides and maintains a safe, systematic, and considerate operational atmosphere. This contributes to both guest and staff satisfaction. Read more
Some maintenance areas have the main responsibility for maintaining the building and equipment. A good maintenance program has well-established measurement data. Poor data can be worse than having no data at all. This is because it could result in incorrect analysis, hence working on the erroneous thing.
One of the best ways of ensuring excellent data collection is to having well-written processes for data collection. Companies repeatedly fail to acknowledge the significance of having well-written processes for most jobs. The most affected is a job that seems to be as simple as collecting data.
This piece of writing covers the significance of having good job procedures. Besides, it provides the details required to come up with a well-written standard maintenance procedure.
Why Maintenance Department Is Significant In Hotels
The Maintenance Department has the major responsibility of maintaining the hotel buildings, grounds, roads, and all permanent and mobile equipment through preventive repairs. Several factors affect the preferred level of maintaining a hotel building.
Precautions should be taken to meet the rising demand for maintenance services in hotels. Therefore, proper request procedures should be in place to avoid occurrences of overloading employees in the maintenance department. Besides emergency cases, hotels should adopt an appropriate technique of making the best use of use of available resources. This will subsequently reduce time-wasting in the industry. Check out similar articles.
Hotel Standard Maintenance Procedure | Is It Necessary?
Hotel standard maintenance procedure is a very important document because of the following reasons;
- Guarantees the safety and protection of employees.
- Assists in ensuring that everybody performs a task to the same level of accuracy.
- Saves time when doing the job.
- Guarantees achieving the standards.
- Minimizes the impact of staff turnover.
- Increases the dependability of equipment.
- Used to train and induct new employees.
- Helps in writing down the equipment management procedure.
- Assists in protecting the environment.
- Provides a foundation for investigating accidents.
Information Contained In A Hotel Standard Maintenance Procedure
- The official title and document number.
- A declaration reading: “comprehend all steps in this standard maintenance procedure before beginning work.”
- All security and ecological danger to be conscious of while doing the task.
- A comprehensive list of steps for doing the task.
- A complete record of tools and resources for performing the task.
- Mentions of other documents required to do the task.
- Photographs and illustrations where applicable to explain the steps of doing the task.
- Dimensions, principles, and tolerances in the standard maintenance procedure.
- Any other significant information that could assist the employee in acceptably completing the task.
- An explanation of skills needed to perform the task.
- Each task has specific hours allocated.
- The number of employees required.
- The number of times one should performing the task.
- Document preparation and the specific dates for revision.
- Approval as well as reviewer signatures.
- Space to share feedback regarding the correctness and efficiency of the standard maintenance procedure.
The feedback is significant to the achievement of Standard Maintenance Procedure (SMP). The task performer gets an official feedback system. Update the SMP once feedback exposes errors or more efficient ways to do the task. Badly written SMP is not safe and mainly not effective. Check out similar SOPs.
Summary of Hotel Standard Maintenance Procedure
The following are the basic standards to be agreed to when handling requisitions;
- Requisitions for maintenance support are executed within twenty minutes, or a substitute time decided upon between the customer and staff member.
- If the guest calls due to a mistake or maintenance error in the room, the team member will honestly make an apology for the inconvenience caused.
- When follow-up is needed, the team member must give details of what time, and who will carry out the follow-up, and the deadline.
- When a guest is not in the room, the maintenance staff should enter together with security personnel.
- They should gently knock on the door and identify themselves to ascertain whether the room is in use or vacant before entering.
- In case a follow-up check or service is needed, the guest will be contacted to confirm their satisfaction with the response.
- Leave a tailored note (fix me) card in the room if you do a repair in the absence of the guests from the room.
- Before placing a caller on hold, the staff member should ask for consent to do so and hold on for a reply.
- If calls are put on hold, contact is done after every forty seconds giving the caller the option to continue with the hold, leave a message, or get a callback.
- Callers who are transferred to another department should be informed about the person they are being linked to.
- There will be no screening on all calls.
Acquire a hotel standard maintenance procedure to equip maintenance staff with all tools required to do their duties. Besides, it makes it much easier to introduce new maintenance employees quickly and economically. The step-by-step operating procedure has a clear path for tasks to be done. The newly recruited staff must not always seek advice from more knowledgeable workers.
Reach out for our hospitality consultancy Here